Monday, September 22, 2008

Athletes Influence on the Election

In today's day and age, young adults are influenced by various things in life. They are influenced by family, friends, teachers, celebrities, athletes, and other various figures. This year's presidential election is another event where young adults will be influenced by various aspects in their lives in regard to which candidate to vote for.

It is interesting to evaluate an athlete's opinion on the candidates in this year's election and the impact their opinion may have on first time voters. Sports are as much a part of this country's landscape as politics are. Numerous professional athletes have already publicly endorsed either Barack Obama or John McCain. This obviously allows voters to be influenced to vote for one candidate over another because of who a particular athlete supports. If you think about it, this is a smart tactic for the candidates to employ. If a voter is undecided, the fact that a particular athlete or celebrity is backing one of the candidates may be enough of a reason for the voter to cast their vote for that candidate.

When asked if he would vote for either Barack Obama or John McCain because a certain athlete supports one of them, junior Tyler Chaput had this to say: "No, I have already formulated my opinion as to which candidate I feel is best suited for the position of President of the United States. I would not change my vote from one candidate to the other just because an athlete that I admire supports that nominee." Junior Tim Herre put a different spin on the question. "I would not necessarily say I would vote for a candidate because an athlete supported him, however, knowing an athlete endorsed the same nominee that I did would make me feel better about my selection. Sharing a common bond with an athlete, however small it may be is pretty cool.

Young voters could learn a lesson from a young athlete named Greg Oden. For those who don't know, Greg Oden is the center for the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA. Oden, like many 20-year-olds, will be taking part in his first election. In an article written by Michael Wilbon of The Washington Post, Oden delivers a quote that many young voters could draw a lot from. Oden says, "If the person I vote for wins it's gonna be because of my one little vote; at least that's what I'm gonna think. I think everyone should think that way. This will be my first presidential election to participate in as a voter and I hope that you younger voters will get involved. I think our votes can really influence the outcome so go out, register and vote for who you think is the best candidate to be the best leader for this country."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/28/AR2008022804230.html

Oden is not trying to get young voters to support Barack Obama or John McCain; he is just trying to get first time voters excited to be able to exercise their right to vote. This is an athlete who young voters should allow themselves to be influenced by because he is sending a positive message.

No comments: